Exporting from the UK to the EU after Brexit? You need to know this!

If you are an exporter, you need to be aware of the following before you start exporting goods from the UK to the EU after the Brexit transition period.

These include EORI number, commodity codes, export declarations, and export licenses.

We discuss them below.

  1. EORI Number

To export goods out of the UK, you will require a UK EORI number beginning with GB or XI.

Please note that you will also need the EU EORI number for the European business you are exporting to.

The business you are exporting to will need to apply for one in its own country in case it does not have one already.

For this, you will have to contact all businesses you export to in the EU and ensure that they have their respective EORI numbers ready.

You may also need your own EU EORI number if you wish to move goods to your own warehouse in the EU.

  1. Commodity Codes

It is crucial to ensure that you use the correct commodity codes as the importer in the EU will need to pay tax and duty on what is being exported to them.

  1. Export Declarations

The government suggests hiring a customs broker, freight forwarder or fast parcel operator to make customs declarations.

a. What if you are making declarations yourself?

In case you are making declarations yourself, you will need to register for and use the National Export System (NES) – which lets you make declarations electronically.

However, you will need something known as a CHIEF badge role.
b. Are there any other ways of making the declarations?

Yes. You can make export declarations via the web, e-mail, or a software.

c. What do you need to make web declarations?

You need a Government Gateway ID and password for your business to make web declarations.

d. What do you need to make declarations using e-mail?

You will need a standard e-mail server (SMTP) and CHIEF- compatible software to make declarations via e-mail.

e. Are there any other alternatives to make declarations?

Yes. You can even use a Community System Provider (CSP) to make declarations.

To access the system, you can use your own import/export software and use the provider’s CHIEF registration.

However, you may have to pay a fee for using it.

  1. Export Licenses

You need to ensure that you have export licenses in place before you start exporting since some goods require this.

Additionally, there are some rules specific to tobacco, alcohol, certain oils and for controlled goods which need to be followed.

Get in Touch

Just fill in your details here if you need help with exporting goods from the UK to the EU after Brexit or wish to discuss some other matters.

Lanop Accountants and Tax Advisers for Small and Medium Businesses

We are your local Chartered Accountants and Tax Advisers based in Putney, Harley Street and Battersea. We are expert XERO Accounting advisors and trusted business advisors in Wandsworth Borough.

While we are based in South West London and Central London, our clientele is quite global and our staff is currently working remotely to serve our clients through active Zoom accounts all over UK.

As always, you can reach out to us anytime to discuss any financial issues you may have in this coronavirus pandemic

18th January 2021

Related Posts